Global Application Specialist and XtraMile® Manager
Location: Rogers, MN
The position will support the application testing of new ink and coating formulations to aggressively support sales growth through innovative UV curable and Water Based products. The successful candidate will be strongly involved in on-site customer troubleshooting and application support for trials, working in close collaboration with the local technical field people. This person will provide technical expertise in mixing, applying and testing ink formulations in the lab (lab bench work), as well as future application expertise, with a primary focus on the fast growing Shrink Sleeves and Flexible Packaging Short Runs segments.
Additionally, this role will define a sustainable services business model for the Narrow Web business. This set of services is branded XtraMile®, and the objective is for Flint Group NW to have the #1 reputation for value added services globally. The service offerings role encompasses implementing an advanced color management offering (called XtraMile® Color Module), rolling out a LEAN manufacturing audit service for customers (called XtraMile® Force Module), and implementing the best-in-class technical troubleshooting services offing (called XtraMile® Support Module).
This position has a dual reporting line. For the Global Application part, reporting will be to the Global R&D and Technical Director. For the value added services role, reporting will be to the Global Marketing Director.
The position will pre-dominantly support North America, but will also support other regions like LATAM and EMEA as needed. Travel is expected to be approximately 40%, mostly domestic with some international travel, based on business needs and subject to change.
Primary Responsibilities for the Application Specialist work
- Building a full road map with all necessary tools and documentation to support Shrink sleeve and flexible packaging applications
- Ensure that Customers, Sales, and local Technical Service have all technical information needed concerning the targeted applications
- Know-how about the behavior of new and existing ink series on press (window of operations, optimization of press parameters, substrates) and understanding of specific application properties and associated technical trends (testing methods, regulatory).
- Work in close collaboration with R&D and Product Management for new product development linked to applications
- Represent Flint Group Narrow Web during select customer qualifications and trials as appropriate
- Represent Flint Group Narrow Web by presenting our offerings for these applications at select customers and industry conferences.
Primary Responsibilities for the XtraMile® Manager work
- First and primary focus will be on defining the color management offering to meet customer needs in NA and lead the NA market launch of this service offering. Provide best in class project leadership to the NA color team. Define project milestones, workstreams, roles and responsibilities. Enable the offering launch on time and in full.
- Once the XtraMile® Color Module is on track, focus on implementing the Support Module offering in NA, building off of the internal foundation started in EMEA. Again, utilize tools and methodologies for best in class project leadership, management and implementation.
- The 3rd point of focus will be further enhancing the foundation of the XtraMile® Force Module (taking into account needs of the other regions), leading the roll out of this Module and making sure that this Module can be used to serve also the other regions like LATAM, APAC and EMEA.
- Collaborate with product management, sales, and technical service personnel to support existing business via application expertise
- Application work on new identified and emerging technologies that could be relevant to developing new products and to improving existing processes
- Plans, schedules and executes all technical application work with a focus on agreed priorities
- Maintains two-way dialogue with key internal and external partners
- Use first-hand customer information to improve/develop applications, products and services
- For each XtraMile® service offering, define each unique offering, value delivered to the customer, value we can capture, target customers for market launch, and market positioning vs all current offerings on the market. Drive the market launch and success at of the offering with customers
- Provide Regular updates on milestones and market penetration progress
- Creation of Offering launch packs and competitive benchmarking of service offerings